Since 26 November 1975, long before some of us were born, Riaan Cruywagen has been bringing us the news in Afrikaans. Now after 37 years and 7000 television broadcasts, he is bidding farewell to reading the news and is taking on retirement at the ripe age of 67!
After contract renewal issues in 2003 he took on a cult following in South Africa the same way Chuck Norris and David Hasselhoff has been leading through endless jokes and funny pics.
- Riaan Cruywagen knows the news before it happens etc.
- One night during an ad break on the 8 o’clock news, Riaan Cruywagen mentioned to the makeup lady that he was ‘tired of this apartheid nonsense’. Nelson Mandela was released from prison the next day
- When Sir Edmund Hillary reached the summit of Mount Everest, he was welcomed by Riaan Cruywagen, who briefly interviewed him, before wiring the information through to the SAUK.
Some fun facts about Riaan Cruywagen.
- His first story on the News on 26 November 1975, was the 9 years sentencing of Breyton Breytenbach.
- He was the voice of the 1976 children s program , Haas Das se Nuuskas.
- He starred in movies like Leon Schuster’s “Sweet and Short” and in the movie “Stander” as himself.
Be sure not to miss him tonight in this extraordinary milestone of bringing us the News in Afrikaans on SABC2 at 19h00.